Barry Levinson’s great film Diner remains one of my favorite movies, ever. Wonderful cast – Daniel Stern, Mickey Rourke, Ellen Barkin, Paul Reiser, Kevin Bacon and many more – and although the coming of age story predates my own, I can identify with the feeling of juggling hope and hopelessness one encounters when transitioning into a more responsible life. Music geeks will identify with Shrieve; his obsessive knowledge of the tiniest fragment of information on a record, his frustration when his wife can’t follow his complicated system and misfiles his albums after playing them.
Bacon plays an irreverent, drunken guy who just doesn’t take anything seriously; he’s in it for the laughs. When something great happens, he often declares that it’s the “smile of the week“.
I’ll take a slight liberty with his phrase for my TGIF theme this week and list ten things that brought a smile to my face during a week when I really needed it. So enjoy these Ten Smiles Of The Week…
(01) Australian comic genius Jim Jefferies
(02) Gov’t Mule playing Neil Young‘s Rockin’ In The Free World
(03) What Tina Fey really said during the Mark Twain Award ceremony.
(04) Rich Vos killing at the Jim Florentine Roast
(05) The Futon Critic‘s list of remaining TV episodes.
(06) Brendan Benson and The Posies playing “September Gurls”
(07) Newly revised NFL logos (don’t miss page 2 as well)
(08) How to make millions…by farming!
(09) Titus Welliver, who makes any show better just by being in it.
(10) Daniel Stern and Ellen Barkin in that scene from Diner.