It’s a guilty pleasure, I must admit. And when both the Independent Spirit Awards and the Academy Awards occur over the same weekend, well…that’s a lot of couch time. And snack food. (And snarky observations).
Independent Spirit Awards
- Eric Roberts Is The Man
- Emily Deschanel is pretty hot in Bones, but Zooey Deschanel (Almost Famous) is even hotter.
- It’s hard to think of Woody Allen as “independent” when everyone else in the room seems to have financed their movie on a relative’s Visa card. But although $15 million (Vicki Cristina Barcelona’s budget) is an unthinkable fortune compared to Frozen River’s $1 million, it’s still a pittance in an industry where you would have to dig even deeper just to pay a Julia Roberts, Nicole Kidman or Reese Witherspoon to ruin your movie.
- Someone has to explain “business casual” to Philip Seymour Hoffman
- I don’t know what Rosie Perez is doing career-wise, but her amicable smack-down of Penelope Cruz should be in her highlight reel.
- Ditto Penelope Cruz’s story about Woody Allen
- The “musical numbers” for the Best Picture nominees might be an idea stolen from Billy Crystal, but since the Academy isn’t letting Billy Crystal host the Oscar telecast, I’m glad to see these guys picked up the ball. Which of course, leads to…
- Rainn Wilson Is The Man.
- Michael Bolton can be the punch line of a joke that is funny and has nothing to do with his singing, and he can be a good sport about it.
- Jason Bateman and Ellen Page need to take their act on the road.
- Is there anyone more comfortable in his own skin than John Waters? Then again, he’s probably comfortable in yours, too.
- IFC likes awards shows without interruption of any kind – commercials, censors, or otherwise. AMC has editors (and presumably, viewers with more sensitive ears).
- Steve Coogan is no Ricky Gervais, but then, who is? Nice job, mate.
- If you didn’t already think Charlie Kaufman was one odd dude based upon his screenplays, listening to him speak should seal the deal for you.
- I know why Mike Myers wasn’t there last night.
- The only thing that would have made Melissa Leo‘s acceptance speech better was if she gave a shout-out to the cast of Homicide.
- Nothing would have made Mickey Rourke‘s speech better.
Full list of winners here.